Sunday, January 31, 2010

uMac iDon't

I have been busy with school and have, because of this, neglected my blog.  My apologies go out to all three of you, my avid readers.  The truth is, I have had nothing about which to blog, that is, until now. 

I have been made aware of Apple's new shiny thing, you know, the one that is named as if it is some sort of high-tech feminine product.  I look at my old trusty PDA.  It is funny, a few years ago a couple of the kids I strength coached made fun of the fact that I had a separate PDA and phone.  It was too old school for them.  After all, my clie at that point was about 2 years old.  To convert from real years into tech years, I am told you have to use this complicated formula:  Ytech = Yreal x 1googolplex. 

This ridiculous age of my technical device was reflected by its features.  After all, my clie only can connect to any wireless network to surf the web, act an mp3 player, download new applications, read e-books, take photos, has graffiti for super-fast writing (in proper text form), keeps a schedule, and feeds small children.  Those middle-schoolers were on to something those 3 years ago.  In this day and age, who really surfs the internet, keeps a schedule, or listens to portable music?

Now there is all this talk about this iPad.  It pretty much has the same functionality of my old clie, but with the panache of  a celebrity on the red carpet.  Suddenly a device separate from one's phone is back in vogue, except only when that device is far more bulky and has an irritating interface.  Steve Jobs, you have once again earned your paycheck--selling overpriced shiny things to the masses, while making them think they are part of some sort of fringe movement.  My hat goes off to you.

I still use my clie.  It does everything one would need in a portable device, even if it isn't over-priced enough for the mass consumer. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, if Mathematica is availible on the iPad and not your clie, then I want an iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you are even talking about :)
    Although my generation hadn't seen a cell phone or the internet until we were in our early 20's!

    ReplyDelete