Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Do you snowshoe with your mouth open?

I will propose two related theories:
1) The amount of one's introspection is a constant.  This constant varies from person to person, but never changes for the individual (Note: having introspection does not also imply the use of that introspection.  One may be aware that they suck, but choose to not act on this knowledge).
2) As an observer cannot infer anther's amount of introspection based on their personal growth (see "Note" above), there must be some other indicator.  The best indicator, then, is how much one chews with their mouth open.  
i.e. Self-awareness = k/(open-mouth chewing)


There are toys we have that we never use, no matter how much we mean to.  I was determined that this should not be the case in regards to the sweet snowshoes Rob hooked me up with before I moved.  So--with no prior snowshoeing experience--I drove to Rocky Mountain National Park, found a hill that was very steep and snowy,  and I snowshoed the crap out of it.  Oh yes, it was as if the mountain was my Lolita and I was its Humbert Humbert.  Sure, the mountain may have experimented with other trekkers, but none as awesome as I.  RMNP, light of my life, fire of my lungs. This is why I moved out here.


While I may be a bit of a music junky while driving (Joe Satriani), cooking (Muse/Foo Fighters), or mathematicing (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones/Morphine); I never bring music with me skiing or hiking. Somehow I feel it gets in the way.  It is nice to be alone with God's creation and reflect in the quietness.


Finally, at the top!  Now I'll just put my skis on and . . . wait, I knew I forgot something.

1 comment:

  1. So you would propose that we all have a capacity for introspection? The question is how much we use it, pay attention to it or learn to listen to it?
    I agree... a sadly underused tool in our persona! This could be largely the issue with technology... whether we have introspection or now we all have not developed the means to pay attention to self awareness since we are glued to some device!

    As for the snowshoeing... pretty friggin sweet! Its like adding a 4x4 package to your legs ha!

    ReplyDelete